Saliva helps wash away the bacteria in your mouth. Your mouth will dry out if it does not produce enough saliva. Dry mouth is something that most people will experience at some point. However, if it is chronic, then it can lead to a number of health issues.
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
There are a number of things that can cause dry mouth. It can be caused by dehydration. This can be caused by excessive sweating, fever or not drinking enough water. There are also medications that can cause dry mouth. You should talk to your general dentist in Steele Creek about the medication you are taking.
Symptoms of Dry Mouth
There are a number of symptoms that you may notice if you have dry mouth. You may have an uncomfortable feeling in your mouth. You may also be thirsty. Additionally, there are some people who develop canker sores. If you notice any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea for you to see a family dentist near Steele Creek.
What Can You Do?
I have had general dentists near me recommend that I do the following.
- If your medication is causing your dry mouth, then you should ask your doctor if you can reduce your dosage or switch to a lower dosage.
- You can increase your saliva production by chewing gum.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Do not breathe through your mouth.
- Use a humidifier to increase the moisture in your room.
- Ask your doctor if you can take a medication to increase your saliva.
It is a good idea for you to see a general dentist in Steele Creek once every six months. Your dentist will diagnose and treat dry mouth.
If you are in need of a family dentist near Steele Creek then contact us today!